The specific objectives of the project include the following:
- Assess the future human resource requirements for EU ports in the 2030 horizon. Current conditions and future trends in the European ports sector will be analysed to produce an understanding of the business, technological and operational changes as well as market needs and demands, along with shifting business models, which drive the requirements for human resources development in terms of demand profiles, skills and training needs.
- Identify and review current practices in port training. In-depth analysis will be conducted at a national level to better understand the status of port worker training in different Member States and issues and challenges faced.
- Facilitate an effective, broad and open dialogue of key stakeholders. National workshops with the active participation of social partners will be conducted, which will support the previous objectives, provide a forum for discussion and assist in placing findings at a national level.
- Identify and prioritize health and safety issues in the port sector. Work with the H&S sub-committee of the SDP to identify H&S issues and set priorities for current and future H&S training needs, while elaborating on risks related to the future jobs and considering measures to prevent incidents.
- Support consensus building. Cross-fertilization events will take place in the form of international conferences, aiming to facilitate a dialogue and assist in the direction of consensus building on the next steps to be taken to accomplish the objectives of a sustainable and efficient EU port system. To support this objective, a network of relevant stakeholders will be established at the early stages of the project and will be open to new participants throughout the course of the project.